Thursday, June 22, 2006

Gay man beaten near Club Mambo

Gay man beaten near Club Mambo
By Gary Barlow
Copyright by The Chicago Free Press
 
Leaving “gay night” at a North Side nightclub early June 9, a 31-year-old gay man was attacked and seriously injured by four or five assailants wielding baseball bats and shouting anti-gay slurs.

Jermaine Robinson was hospitalized for broken ribs, head wounds that required stitches and staples and other injuries after the bashing near Club Mambo, 3336 N. Milwaukee Ave. Robinson is out of the hospital but said he’s still suffering from blurred vision, swollen legs and pain, and is using a walker.

“I can’t do anything,” he said. “This is not good at all. I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to pay my rent.”
Robinson said he went to Club Mambo for its regular Thursday GLBT-friendly night June 8. Shortly after midnight, he said, he decided to leave the club.

“I was jumped,” Robinson said. “One of the guys I remember was in the club. ÉI was beaten repeatedly. They robbed me. ÉThey were beating me and calling me names like ‘faggot.’”

When he came to, Robinson said he “stumbled” to his home near the club. There, family members called police and an ambulance.

Robinson said the attack on him is part of a recent pattern near the club on Thursday nights. Police officers, he said, told his boyfriend that there have been five other similar bashings near Club Mambo in recent weeks.

“Someone has to know that this is steadily going on,” Robinson said.

Club Mambo management did not return calls about the incidents. A Chicago Police Department spokesman said June 16 that Area 3 detectives haven’t made any arrests in the attack on Robinson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home